Control valves, frequently accompanied by high levels of noise generation, often achieve pressure reduction in gas or steam networks.
Control valves, frequently accompanied by high levels of noise generation, often achieve pressure reduction in gas or steam networks. Reducing pressure also reduces generated noise. We provide solutions like noise attenuating diffusers, located downstream from the control valve. Using this method the noise attenuating is compact and demands no maintenance.
Pressure in a gas stream can cause sudden velocity and pressure changes in a valve. Hereby generating sound power levels of 160 dB, which spread through the walls of the valve and the downstream piping. Influences of the noise level are:
- System pressure
- Gas velocity
A downstream diffuser reduces pressure drop across the valve and proportionally reduces the generated noise.
Noise attenuation in the diffuser
We achieve noise attenuation using the following steps:
- Partially reflecting noise entering the diffusers, the proportions determine this effect
- The production of small gas jets is forced by openings in the diffuser, which mutually interfere and attenuate the noise
- Altering the noise spectrum; low frequency noise transforms into higher frequencies that are more efficiently impeded in the pipe wall
A good diffuser changes the distribution of the pressure drop between the valve and the downstream system. The openings in a good diffuser determine the pressure drop across each diffuser element and the frequency of the residual noise. Q.E. expertise in this field of a good diffuser is at your proposal. We will be pleased to advice your staff with the best proposal for your application. The following data is needed to make a firm offer:
- Gas of vapour type
- Pressure upstream of the control valve
- Pressure downstream from the valve/diffuser system
- Temperature of the following medium
- Unsilenced noise level inside the valve
- Connection sizes
About Q.E. International
Q.E. International has demonstrated, with more than 40 years experience, to its loyal and satisfied clients that it is the partner in solving industrial noise problems and we can perform the same services for your organisation. In design, production and supply of good diffusers we are the world leading company.